Fish cutlets are a kind of croquettes and can be made with a variety of fillings, coated with breadcrumbs, fried till crispy and golden. This recipe can make about 70 fish cutlets, depending on small or big you make them.
Super quick instructions are at the bottom for those that just need a reminder. So scroll down if you’ve done this before.
- 3 big potatoes
- 8 big green chilies – finely chopped
- 10 small yellow onions – finely chopped
- 3 cans of Ocean’s Flake Light Tuna
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Half a lime
- 2 teaspoons of curry leaves (known as karuveppilai in Tamil)
- Two large eggs
- 300g of bread crumbs – don’t worry if you don’t have this, I’ll teach you a trick to make homemade bread crumbs
- 1 cup of canola oil or oil of your choice for frying
STEP 1: POTATO PREP
- Clean the potatoes and chop them in half with the peel. Keeping the peel helps hold onto some of the vitamins and nutrients found in the potato peel.
- Place the potatoes into a pot and add enough cold water to cover the tops of the potatoes
- Place the pot on the stove and on high heat for about 30-40 mins or until you can easily cut through the potato
- Tip: To check if the potatoes are ready, try either poking a fork into a potato or see if you can cut through the potato using a butter knife easily. If you the butter knife or fork goes through the potato easily then it’s done!
- Go to step #2 while your potatoes boil. Once your potatoes are done, take them out of the pot and let them cool
- The potato skin should peel off easily. Peel and start cutting the potatoes into quarters and then into smaller pieces. This is to make it easier for you to mash the potatoes.
STEP 2: CUTLET FILLING PREP
- While the potatoes boil, peel the skin of the onions and wash both the onions and green chillies
- Next, finely chop the green chillies & dice the small yellow onions
- Reminder: Check on your potatoes! Once they’re done, peel and chop into small pieces.
- Drain the water out of the canned tuna and place it on a plate. Microwave for about 2 minutes to further take out the moisture from the tuna.
- Put everything into a bowl and mash together with your hands:
- Boiled and chopped potatoes, diced onions, finely chopped green peppers, drained tuna, 2 teaspoons of pepper, 2 teaspoons of salt, squeeze half a lime, half teaspoon of curry leaf powder
- Tip: Most people dry curry leaves and keep them in the fridge. Try this instead: Leave you curry leaves to dry under the light for about 4 days, then grind the curry leaves until it is powder. This will last a lot longer.
STEP 3: BREADING PREP
- Whisk the two eggs together in a shallow bowl, this is what will hold the cutlet together
- Pour about 300g of breadcrumbs on a plate
- Tip: You can easily make breadcrumbs by:
- Grab your toaster and toast the bread
- Tear the bread into pieces
- Drop it into a food processer (I use a coffee grinder)
- Whiz the bread in bursts until you have breadcrumbs
- Tip: You can easily make breadcrumbs by:
- Make golf-ball sized balls using the cutlet filling from Step #2
- Dip each cutlet ball into the egg, then roll generously in breadcrumbs
- Transfer the cutlet to another plate. Repeat till all the filling and mixture is used up
- At this point, you can either freeze some of the cutlet balls for future user or fry. You can keep them frozen for up to a month. Just remove the cutlets 30 minutes before, thaw to room temperature and fry.
STEP 4: Fry & Enjoy!
- Heat oil in a frying pan at high heat.
- While the oil heats up, grab a plate and line it with paper towel to drain excess oil
- Once the oil is hot, gently place 5-6 cutlets in the pan depending on the size of your pan. Flip the cutlet until all sides are golden brown.
- You can enjoy fish cutlets with a main meal or as appetizer!
- Cutlet filling:
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes
- Finely chop green peppers and onions and mix with mashed potatoes
- Drain the water from canned tuna and add to the mix along with pepper, salt, lime and curry leaf powder
- Making Cutlet:
- Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl and keep breadcrumbs on a separate plate
- Make golf-sized balls of the cutlet filling, dip in the egg and then roll in breadcrumbs
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry until golden brown
- Place on paper towel lined plate for drain excess oil and serve!