Skip the trans fat and high-fructose corn syrup found in many processed animal crackers. Mix up this lightly sweetened whole-grain dough instead and cut away. Animal-shaped crackers are cute, but little circles and stars also delight.
Ingredients: Makes about 60 small crackers
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat graham flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the two flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat in the butter, milk, and maple syrup just until a stiff dough forms
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour. Transfer the dough to the work surface and roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. Using small cookie cutters (about 1 1/2 inches wide), cut shapes from the dough and place them on the baking sheet. Re-roll and cut the dough and place them on the baking sheet. Re-roll and cut the remaining dough. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Keep the animal crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days.