Ingredients for Pesto: Makes 1 cup pesto
- One 5 oz. package baby spinach
- 2 cups basil, packed
- 1/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cooked whole-grain penne pasta
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 15 seconds. Drain well, squeezing out any water with a fork.
- Add all of the pesto ingredients, including the spinach, to a food processor and process until smooth. To serve, mix 2 teaspoons pesto with 1/4 cup cooked pasta, or serve the pesto as a dip.
Transfer the pesto to a storage container, cover with a thin layer of olive oil, and refrigerate for up to three days. Bring to room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. Or, transfer to multiple small containers (so you can defrost just as much as you need), cover with a thin layer of oil, and freeze.