• Drink a glass of prune or elderberry juice, diluted apple cider vinegar or warm water with honey in the morning on an empty stomach.
• Alternatively, first thing each morning drink a large glass of warm water mixed with the juice of a lemon.
• Dissolve 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt in 2 cups (500 ml) warm water and drink to soften stools.
• Before each meal take 1 teaspoon (5 ml) herbal bitters in water to improve general digestive function and stimulate the production of bile, the body’s laxative.
• Try a tried and trusted German cure. For centuries, Germans have touted the curative effects of the pickled cabbage dish, sauerkraut. In fact, sauerkraut is rich in Lactobacillus bacteria, which help to soften stools and keep intestinal flora healthy.
• Give yourself a daily stomach massage with a cold washcloth (working in a clockwise direction) to stimulate a sluggish intestine.
Prunes and other dried fruit relieve constipation naturally.
• Consume only moderate amounts of fat and sugar, which slow the operation of the intestines.
• Make room in your daily diet for additional digestion regulating fiber, such as wheat or oat bran and flaxseed. Sprinkle them on cereal.
• Combine a high fiber diet with ample fluid intake.
• Avoid the tannins contained in dark chocolate, cocoa, black tea and red wine, as they disable digestive muscles. Stay away from these foods if you are prone to constipation.
• Exercise, such as a bike ride or a regular walk, is often all it takes to get a sluggish intestine going.
• Take a probiotic. Good bacteria keep things moving along nicely. Yogurt containing acidophilus may help or opt for a supplement.
• Relax and take your time. Being pressed for time on the toilet doesn’t help.
- 1/4 cup (50 g) dried peppermint leaves
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) fennel seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) dried eidenloviers
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) dried chamomile flowers
Mix the ingredients together and pour 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water over 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of the mixture. Let steep for 5 minutes, then strain. Drink a freshly prepared cup three times a day.