Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- One 15-ounce chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (2 large egg whites)
- One 10-ounce package spinach, thawed, drained, and thoroughly patted dry
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
You’ll need: large skillet with lid, nonstick spray, large bowl, paper towels, small blender or food processor, potato masher
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add squash, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook for 8 minutes, or until squash has mostly softened and water has evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl lined with paper towels.
- Place rinsed beans and egg in a small blender or food processor, and puree until mostly smooth.
- Remove paper towels from veggie bowl, and blot away excess moisture. Roughly mash squash. Add bean puree, spinach, flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Once cool, evenly form mixture into 6 patties, about 1/2 cup each.
- If needed, clean skillet. Respray and bring to medium heat.
- Working in batches, cook patties until firm and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side, flipping gently.