Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 hour 5 minutes
Cool: 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (4 large) egg whites
- 1 large eggplant (about 20 ounces), ends removed
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet and an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a wide bowl, mix breadcrumbs with seasonings. Place egg in a second wide bowl.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices.
- One at a time, lightly coat eggplant slices with egg, shake to remove excess, coat with seasoned crumbs, and place on the baking sheet.
- Top with any excess breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Flip eggplant. Bake until slightly softened and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- In the baking pan, evenly layer 1/4 cup marinara, half of the eggplant, 1/4 cup marinara, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Palm, and 1/4 cup marinara. Continue layering with remaining eggplant slices, 1/4 cup marinara, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons Pam.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Uncover and bake until cheese has melted and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.