Tainted food, too much alcohol, a virus, motion sickness, pregnancy or even stress can all trigger nausea and vomiting. Try some of the following suggestions, which can help to alleviate these unpleasant symptoms.
Travel or motion sickness is especially common in children, whose balance mechanisms are much more sensitive than those of adults. A number of home remedies can effectively combat this and other types of nausea.
• You can ward off rising nausea effectively- by inhaling the aroma of a freshly cut apple. Breathe it in deeply.
• For sudden nausea, dot a few drops of peppermint essential oil on the back of your hand and inhale the aroma.
• Put 2 drops each of lavender or sandalwood oil on a handkerchief and draw the scent into your lungs.
• To help calm your stomach, crush 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fennel seeds in a mortar. Put the crushed seeds in a pan and pour 1 cup (250 ml) water over them. Bring to a boil and let steep (or 10 minutes before drinking.
For Motion Sickness
• This tea will help to prevent motion sickness. Prepare it in advance and take it with you on your trip in a small thermos bottle. Pour boiling water over one piece of cinnamon bark and let it steep for 10 minutes before straining.
• If nausea increases, it sometimes helps to chew slowly on a little piece of fresh ginger.
- Fold a hand towel in two, dip it in warm chamomile tea and wring it out
- Place the towel over your stomach area, spread a dry towel over it and hold it in place with a wool scarf.
- Let the wrap work for 10 minutes and replace it as needed