This blend gives your baby two nutritional powerhouses in one spoonful. There are many types of kale available these days. For the quickest cooking time and most tender result, look for Tuscan kale, also called lacinato or dinosaur kale.
Ingredients: Makes 2 1/4 cups
- 2 1/2 cups chopped kale, thick stems removed
- Tip: To prepare kale or other sturdy greens like Swiss chard and collards. cut out and discard the thick stem in the middle of each leaf. Submerge the leaves in a large bowl of water. swish them around a bit, and let them sit for a couple of minutes. Any dirt clinging to the leaves will sink to the bottom of the bowl. Lift the leaves out of the water and transfer them to a strainer to drain. Pour out the water. Repeat this rinsing process until there’s no more dirt at the bottom of the bowl, usually two to three times. Dry the greens in a salad spinner or with towels.
- 2 cups butternut squash puree
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a simmer. Place a steamer basket over the water. Add the kale. Cover and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer the kale and butternut squash puree to a blender or food processor. Process until you get the desired consistency for your baby, adding 1/4 cup or more water if needed to help it blend.