Get seafood into your baby’s diet early; there are few foods with as many nutritional benefits, including brain-boosting DHA, an especially important omega-3 fatty acid for babies. This mild-tasting, creamy purée is an excellent place to start on the fish front. As your baby gets older, just mash this meal with a fork. Store this purée in the fridge for only a day before freezing to maintain the best (and least “fishy”) flavor.
Ingredients: Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 1 medium yukon gold or russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 /2 pound cod or other white fish fillet
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- Place the potato cubes into a medium saucepan and add water just to cover. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Place the cod atop the potatoes (it won’t be in the water). Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add the peas and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish and vegetables to a blender, reserving the cooking water. Add 1/4 cup cooking water and purée until the mixture is smooth, adding more cooking water if necessary. Do not over-blend or the potato may become gummy.