MAKES 18 CUPCAKES
This cupcake recipe is so moist and flavorful. They are great as muffins too, so if you don’t want something too sweet, these are perfect without the frosting as well.
Cake Batter Ingredients
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup ginger jam
- 2 eggs
Gingerbread Cookie Dough Ingredients
- Yellow and brown food coloring
- 2 teaspoons Gingerbread Spice Mix
- 1/2 cup ginger jam
- 18 pieces of candied ginger
- Gold sprinkles
Steps to Bake the Cupcakes:
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners and preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix together the boiling water and baking soda. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, spices, and salt.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and keep beating until fluffy. Add the molasses, baking soda mixture, flour mixture, and ginger jam. Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into lined cupcake pans. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and cool completely.
Steps to Bake the Cookies:
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Use a cookie stamp to cut out gingerbread man cookies. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to brown. Cool completely.
- Add a couple drops of yellow and brown food coloring and the Gingerbread Spice Mix to your buttercream and beat to combine.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a #2D (large star/flower) piping tip.
- Cut a hole into the center of each of the cupcakes. Fill the hole with some ginger jam.
- Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake. Decorate with gold sprinkles, a piece of candied ginger, and a gingerbread man.