Masks and exfoliators cleanse and remove dead skin cells, revealing the lustrous skin beneath.
The right way to apply a mask
- Apply a facial mask only to freshly cleaned skin, leaving space around the eyes and mouth.
- Leave the mask on for 15-30 minutes. During that lime, relax.
- Carefully wash off the mask with warm water before applying a moisturizing cream, gel or skin oiL
• Mix 1 tablespoon (15 ml) plain yogurt, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black tea and 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) lemon juice. Apply, cover with a warm, moist cloth and leave on for 15 30 minutes.
• Mix and apply 1 tablespoon (15 ml) plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sunflower oil, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice.
• Dissolve 1 tablespoon (15 ml) gelatin in 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice in a pan over warm water. Cool until it forms a gel. Apply, let dry, and rinse off with warm water. Pear or peach juice works just as well.
• Mix an egg yolk with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey and a few drops of olive oil and apply to the face. After 15 minutes, rinse with warm water.
OILY, blemished skin
• Beat one egg white until stiff and mix with half a carrot, finely grated. Stir in 1 teaspoon (5 ml) each chamomile tea and anti inflammatory yarrow tea.
• For pimples and blackheads: Mix 3 tablespoons (45 ml) oat flour, 3 drops of antiseptic tea tree oil, 2 drops of sage oil and an equal amount of warm water. Apply thickly.
• Mix 2 teaspoons (10 ml) brewer’s yeast, 4 teaspoons (20 ml) yogurt and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey.
• Mix 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey, 3 tablespoons (45 ml) ground almonds and juice of half an orange for a gentle, exfoliating scrub. Avoid the eyes. It will keep for a week in the refrigerator.
Fruit masks can help to firm and smooth saggy skin.
• Peel and puree a ripe peach and mix with a little facial cream to make a thick paste.
• Grate an unpeeled apple and stir together with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cider vinegar and I teaspoon (5 ml) cornstarch for a wrinkle defying mask.
• Mix half pureed banana, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey, 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) wheat flakes, and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) yogurt. Apply for 15 minutes.
• Soak 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fine oat flakes in 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk for 30 minutes. Apply thickly.
• Mix 2 teaspoons (10 ml) honey, 2 tablespoons (30 ml) yogurt and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) wheat bran.
• Promote circulation for clearer skin: Stir together 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oats with 3 drops peppermint oil and an equal amount of hot water. Spread the mask on thickly.